As an administrative assistant, you will play a vital role in supporting the efficient operation of an office or organization. You will be responsible for providing administrative support to various teams or departments, ensuring smooth communication and coordination. Your attention to detail, organizational skills, and ability to multitask will be key to your success in this role.
- Location: Calgary, AB Remote work available
- Salary: 26.45 hourly / 30 to 35 hours per week
- Terms of employment Permanent employment: Full time Day, Weekend, Flexible Hours, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Vacancies 1
- Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
1 to less than 7 months
- Perform general administrative tasks, such as managing calendars, scheduling appointments, and organizing meetings.
- Answer phone calls, take messages, and respond to emails in a timely and professional manner.
- Prepare and distribute documents, reports, and correspondence as required.
- Maintain and update filing systems, both electronic and physical, to ensure easy retrieval of information.
- Coordinate travel arrangements, including booking flights, accommodations, and transportation for staff members.
- Assist with event planning and coordination, including logistics, invitations, and materials preparation.
- Manage office supplies and inventory, ensuring stock levels are maintained and ordering supplies when necessary.
- Support financial tasks, such as processing expenses, handling invoices, and maintaining financial records.
- Assist in the preparation of presentations, spreadsheets, and other documents as requested.
- Provide administrative support to various projects and initiatives, collaborating with team members to ensure timely completion.
- High school diploma or equivalent; additional education in office administration or a related field is a plus.
- Proven experience as an administrative assistant or in a similar role.
- Proficiency in office software (e.g., Microsoft Office Suite) and familiarity with office equipment.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with a professional and friendly demeanor.
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Attention to detail and accuracy in completing tasks, with a focus on maintaining confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment, demonstrating adaptability and flexibility.
- Strong problem-solving abilities and the capacity to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Knowledge of basic accounting and bookkeeping principles is desirable but not mandatory.
- Professionalism, reliability, and a positive attitude towards supporting the needs of the organization.
- Schedule and confirm appointments
- Answer telephone and relay telephone calls and messages
- Answer electronic enquiries
- Compile data, statistics and other information
- Order office supplies and maintain inventory
- Arrange travel, related itineraries and make reservations
- Greet people and direct them to contacts or service areas
- Open and distribute regular and electronic incoming mail and other material and co-ordinate the flow of information
- Set up and maintain manual and computerized information filing systems
- Type and proofread correspondence, forms and other documents
Experience and specialization
Computer and technology knowledge
- MS Office
- Excellent written communication
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen, a permanent or a temporary resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply
Here are some frequently asked questions and answers about Administrative assistant:
What does an administrative assistant do?
An administrative assistant is responsible for providing administrative support and assistance to ensure the efficient operation of an office or organization. They perform tasks such as managing calendars, scheduling appointments, organizing meetings, handling correspondence, maintaining records, and assisting with various administrative tasks as needed.
What skills are required to be an administrative assistant?
Effective communication, organization, time management, and attention to detail are essential skills for administrative assistants. They should have strong computer skills, including proficiency in office software such as word processing, spreadsheets, and email. Additionally, they should have excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to prioritize tasks, and the capacity to handle confidential information with discretion.
What qualifications are needed to become an administrative assistant?
While specific qualifications may vary depending on the organization, a high school diploma or equivalent is typically required. Many employers also prefer candidates with post-secondary education in business administration or a related field. Previous experience in an administrative role is beneficial, but not always mandatory.
What are the typical responsibilities of an administrative assistant?
The responsibilities of an administrative assistant may include managing calendars and scheduling appointments, answering phone calls and emails, preparing documents and reports, organizing meetings and events, maintaining filing systems, coordinating travel arrangements, handling correspondence, and providing general administrative support to the team or department.
Is multitasking an important skill for an administrative assistant?
Yes, multitasking is an important skill for administrative assistants. They often juggle multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously, so the ability to prioritize and manage time effectively is crucial. They must be able to handle interruptions, adapt to changing priorities, and remain organized amidst various administrative duties.
What are the career prospects for administrative assistants?
Administrative assistants have diverse career prospects. With experience and additional training, they can advance to more senior administrative roles or specialize in areas such as executive support, project management, or office management. Administrative assistants can also transition into other related roles within an organization, such as human resources, customer service, or event coordination.
What qualities make a successful administrative assistant?
Successful administrative assistants possess excellent organizational and communication skills. They are reliable, detail-oriented, and able to handle sensitive information with confidentiality. They have a proactive attitude, strong problem-solving abilities, and can work well both independently and as part of a team. They are adaptable, flexible, and able to handle a variety of tasks with professionalism and efficiency.