Structural engineers design structures that must endure stresses and pressures inflicted through human use and environmental conditions. They configure structures, choose appropriate building material, inspect the construction work, and ensure the structural soundness of buildings and structures.
- Location: 510 Burrard Street suite 501Vancouver, BCV6C 3A8
- Salary: 66,000 to 90,000 annuallyfor 37,5 hours per 37.5 to 45 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employmentFull time
- Day, Evening, Overtime, Flexible Hours, To be determined, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Benefits: Health benefits, Financial benefits, Long term benefits, Other benefits
- Vacancies: 1 vacancy
We are looking to hire a structural engineer with excellent mathematical, IT, and analytical skills. Structural engineers are expected to be detail-oriented, creative, and possess amazing problem-solving skills.
To ensure success, structural engineers should display an investigative nature and must be accurate, commercially aware, and have great communication skills with a keen interest in ensuring the safety and physical integrity of buildings and other large structures. Top candidates will have a fantastic project and budget management skills with great knowledge of construction processes, materials, and legal regulations.
Structural Engineer Responsibilities:
- Prepare reports, designs, and drawings.
- Make calculations about pressures, loads, and stresses.
- Consider the strength of construction materials and select appropriately.
- Provide technical advice on safe designs and construction.
- Obtain planning and/or building regulations approval.
- Analyze configurations of the basic components of a structure.
- Liaise with professional staff such as architects and engineers.
- Monitor and inspect all work undertaken by contractors to ensure structural soundness.
- Administer contracts and manage projects.
- Inspect properties to evaluate the conditions and foundations.
- Use computer-aided design technology for simulation purposes.
Structural Engineer Requirements:
- Degree in civil or structural engineering (essential).
- 6 years of work experience as a structural engineer (essential).
- Professionally registered with the Institute of structural engineers.
- Expert experience in project management.
- Advanced knowledge of construction methods, materials, and legal regulations.
- Sound understanding of physics and mathematics.
- Ability to liaise with professionals from other disciplines.
- Three-dimensional conceptual skills.
- Analytical thinker with strong problem-solving skills.
- Meticulous attention to detail with superb organizational skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent communication and IT skills.
- Bachelor’s degree
- or equivalent experience
- Civil engineering, general
- Structural engineering
3 years to less than 5 years
- Urban area
- Willing to relocate
- Relocation costs not covered by employer
- Confer with clients and other members of the engineering team and conduct research to determine project requirements
- Develop construction specifications and procedures
- Ensure construction plans meet guidelines and specifications of building codes and other regulations
- Evaluate and recommend appropriate building and construction materials
- Prepare contract documents and review and evaluate tenders for construction projects
- Supervise technicians, technologists and other engineers and review and approve designs, calculations and cost estimates
- Prepare engineering designs and drawings
- Examine drawings for conformity and errors
- Complete documentation packages and drawing sets
- Read and interpret blueprints
Certificates, licences, memberships, and courses
- Registration as a Professional Engineer (P. Eng.) by a provincial or territorial association
- Eligible for registration as a Professional Engineer (P. Eng.) by a provincial or territorial association
Experience and specialization
Type of drafting
- Presentation drawings
- Manual drafting
- Detailing drafting
Computer and technology knowledge
- Database software
- MS Office
- Project management software
- MS Windows
- Desktop applications
Area of work experience
- Industrial, commercial and institutional
- Residential construction
Area of specialization
- Structural engineering
- Civil engineering
- Willing to travel
- Travel expenses not paid by employer
- Public transportation is available
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Fast-paced environment
- Work under pressure
- Tight deadlines
- Attention to detail
- Ability to distinguish between colours
- Efficient interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral communication
- Excellent written communication
- Team player
- Dental plan
- Disability benefits
- Health care plan
- Paramedical services coverage
- Vision care benefits
Long term benefits
- Group insurance benefits
- Life insurance
- Other benefits
- Learning/training paid by employer
- On-site amenities
- Parking available
- Travel insurance
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen, a permanent or a temporary resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.